Monday, April 28, 2008

Dog Fence Drama

Things have been busy around here. About 2 weeks ago we decided to purchase an invisible fence to keep our dogs contained to our yard. We are lucky enough to have wonderful neighbors who like our dogs visiting but I don't think they enjoy the "presents" the dogs leave behind. They would never say anything though. We have always let our dogs roam the area and it has never been a problem until recently. In the past they always did their business in the woods, not the neighbors yard. So, the new purchase. From the start it turned out to be way more of a problem than expected. It took us going back and forth across town from store to store trying to find one. We finally got one at Cabela's. Brian spent the afternoon installing it in the double loop formation described in the directions. This is used to keep the dogs only in the back, instead of the entire property. Long story short it ended with Brian laughing as the dogs yelped and me very upset. The use of the fence is put on hold, I research and decide that we need to do a single loop around the whole property. We wait for the rain to stop to try again. Finally we get a sunny day and it's a Saturday. Brian did a quick and FANTASTIC job of redoing the wire. He even put up the flags, that was supposed to be my job. I ended up house hunting, another story. Sunday evening I find time to train the dogs to learn their boundaries. I walked them on leashes around the perimeter physically pointing out all the boundary flags. One mild shock each and we have dogs who seem to "get it". Our neighbor's dog even came by and the dogs stayed in the yard and away from the perimeter. I feel confident that it is all over and done with. Silly me. Today I had the dogs out, they are staying around but are a little too cautious to explore the entire yard. As I pay close attention to them I call them to various areas of the yard. Everything is great, until I relax. I am enjoying myself helping Brian wash our windows. I go over to the neighbors to return a toy and I hear Jinx cry out. She ran thru the dumb fence!!!! In the meantime Kelsy is freely wandering the neighborhood with her collar on! What? I guess that her collar was not on tight enough. Jinx is still traumatized, hours later. She hasn't stopped panting and shaking since the incident. I hope she doesn't have a heart attack. I remain determined to make this whole thing work. I have to say I think the product is great but some how, somewhere I have failed to grasp some important concept. The worst part is I have been driving Brian nuts with my research, testing of the fence and collars all to make sure everyting works properly. Back to the drawing board.

2 comments:

The Brights said...

Wow! Good luck with all that...I hope things start working for you and the dogs. We've talked about getting one just to put around our landscaped areas, but I think it would be such a hassle. Our dogs like to dig....and just screwed up my whole composter area....dug underneath and started eating the stuff! Drives me crazy! So...back to the drawing board on that one for us!

Unknown said...

his is used to keep check out flexpetz.com the dogs only in the back, instead of the entire property. Long story short it ended with Brian laughing as the dogs yelped and me very upset.